29 September 2005

What Now?

How should the Christian react to news, unexpected news, bad news? Yes, I've had some bad news in my life. In my case, the cancer is winning. The doctor said that this is the time to get in touch with Hospice. He also said that the time frame for my survival is a matter of weeks, and not in months.
Listen to God's Word :
2 Corinthians 4:5-12 ESV (5) For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. (6) For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. (7) But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. (8) We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; (9) persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; (10) always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. (11) For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. (12) So death is at work in us, but life in you.

Death is the enemy. Jesus conqured sin and death at the cross. I can look at the future -- even with the likelyhood that I will die -- confident that the power of Christ's cross is here and that I will see God's promises fulfilled. What matters is that each of us knows that God promises are true and reliable. And so we face the future with confidence, confidence in the God who is there for each of us.
Doc Steve

7 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even as the outer man wears away, you know, dear brother, that you are being renewed in the image of Christ daily.
It is sure that the cross hurts - but it is equally sure that this will only be the "final baptismal drowning" of the old Adam as you look to the Light you will see face to face.
God keep you in abundant grace and mercy through the merits of Christ!

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Breanna said...

Hi Pastor this is Breanna....

im very sad to hear about your cancer... I dont want you to leave us... you are a great Pastor and friend! I will keep you in my prays as the next few weeks go by.

Lots of love to you and your family!

Love always,

Breanna

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Breanna said...

This is Brenda...

Pastor Steve,
It was wonderful to hear you preach Sunday. It sucks to hear your latest prognosis. I wish we could keep you here forever! I want to thank you for being our Pastor. I feel I have learned a lot from you and I wish we had more time to learn even more! I feel that you have made a huge impact on the congregation at HT and for myself personally you have helped me to learn how to be a better Christian. Our prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time. I pray that when the time comes it will be as peaceful as possible.

Love, Brenda

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Andrew said...

Pastor Steve,

You have been in my prayers since my mom met your wife at the hospital. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading what you write and look up to a lot for the things that you have done. I will keep you in my prayers. I am sorry I have not spoken with you more about things such as my decision on wanting to become a pastor and how to get there. You have inspired me more than you can know and I thank you for that. God bless you and your family!

Andrew Gray

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Freddie Sirmans said...

Just browsing the internet. You have a very, very interesting blog. Great site.

 
At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Josh Ellis said...

Hey Doc. My name is Josh Ellis. I am on staff at New Life in Petersburg, MI. We shepherd The Gathering Community, a post-high school, college age ministry. I was searching on things about the church relating to the changing cultural climate and came across your page. I think this is divine. I didn't expect to stumble upon a blog by a pastor down the road from me.

I am sorry to hear the negative health report. I stand in solidarity with you on God's word. What a strong and secure foundation we have.

My wife and I have been doing post-high school ministry for 10 years. I'm always intruiged to study the affects of church on culture and culture on the church. Always curious about how to do a better job of conveying the timeless truth of the gospel to an ever evolving world.

I am also my denominations (Open Bible) regional college age ministry leader. We have our big event of the year coming up the second weekend of November. I'm looking for stories and inspiration to bring.

I sense we may be in the same vein of thinking and approach to be a follower of Jesus.

Is it possible to dialogue more or to meet? I want to know your story and what you would say to an emerging generation who will soon take its place in leadership.

Josh Ellis
734.807.0081

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger www.FashionTrigger.info said...

Wow... Excellent dear, great post!! there is so information on this blog, keep posting like this so that i can come back every day for some new topic...
High fashion Ladies wear Designer
for apparel fairs and for garment exporters
Thanks for sharing...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home